Baba Yara Stadium is now ready for CAN 2008.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Samuel Enin's death

THE police in Kumasi have intensified the search for two gunmen suspected of killing the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA), Mr Samuel Enin, last Friday.
Eyewitnesses said the slain journalist was attacked by his assailants at a drinking spot at Old Tafo, near the Pankrono Estate, and shot in the abdomen. The gunmen quickly fled the scene, having snatched a number of mobile phones from some people.
No motive has yet been established for the dastardly act but in a reaction, the regional branch of the association has called on the police to widen its scope of investigations, noting that “it is an open secret to members of the GJA and other media practitioners in Kumasi and beyond that Mr Enin was interested in becoming either the Member of Parliament (MP) for Odotobri or the district chief executive for his district”, that is, Amansie Central.
“However, if the crime was committed by criminals in the course of their daily activities, the police, known very well for unravelling the mysteries surrounding murders of this nature, can do it once again,” it added.
In January, this year, Mr Enin was said to have resigned as the News Editor of Ashh FM in Kumasi, with the objective of going private.
At the time of the attack, he was said to be carrying a bag which contained a substantial amount of money but the killers took neither the bag nor the money which he had in his pocket.
Mr Enin, 39, who bled profusely from the gunshot wounds, later died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), where he had been rushed for medical attention.
His body has since been deposited at the KATH mortuary for autopsy.
Mr Enin was said to be in the company of three people — Kojo Fosu, a driver of the radio station, Seth Afranie, a former worker of Ashh FM, and Yaa Janet, a lady friend of Kojo Fosu’s — when the incident occurred.
Fosu, who sustained some bruises in the ensuing attack by the gunmen, has since been treated and discharged from KATH.
Another person who was also at the drinking spot and identified only as Kofi also sustained some gunshot wounds on the cheek and is receiving treatment at KATH.
Kofi was sitting at a different place at the drinking spot when a stray bullet hit him on the cheek.
No arrest had been made as of the time of going to press but, according to the Ashanti Regional Police Commander, DCOP Frank Adu Poku, the police had begun investigations into the case and gave the assurance that they would definitely get to the bottom of the matter.
Fosu told the Daily Graphic that Mr Enin invited him and Seth for a drink at the Libra World Drinking Spot where they normally met after work every day.
He explained that the spot was owned by one Cindy, a former worker of Ash FM.
Fosu said after they had taken some drinks and were about to disperse, the two “killers”, who were dressed in ordinary attire and wearing caps, arrived.
According to him, the “killers” first seized Janet’s mobile phone and fired a warning shot.
He said when he enquired from them as to why they had seized the lady’s phone, a confrontation ensued and in the process the gunmen bundled him onto the floor, rendering him unconscious.
He said he did not see anything again until he was resuscitated at the hospital.
On his part, Afranie explained that he had just stepped out of their sitting place to buy food from a nearby food vendor when he heard two gunshots from where they were sitting.
He said he rushed to the place, only to see Mr Enin bleeding from the midsection, after which he helped to carry the victim to a vehicle for the hospital.
Other eyewitnesses told the Daily Graphic that they saw the killers arrive at the place in a white vehicle but they could not determine the type of vehicle.
They said they also saw the gunmen entering the drinking spot after going round the place for a while and that they saw some exchanges between the killers and another person where Mr Enin was sitting before one of them fired at Mr Enin.
According to the eyewitnesses, just after the act, the two men quickly rushed to the waiting car and fled.
Twice voted the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the GJA, Mr Enin was very instrumental in the uplift of the image of the association in the region.
A native of Jacobu in the Ashanti Region, Mr Enin was a 1991 graduate of the Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ).
He had stints with the Free Press newspaper where he was the Ashanti Regional correspondent, and Shaft FM, where he was the News Editor.
His voice was one of the most popular on radio in Kumasi during the mornings, being a panellist for the morning newspaper review on Ash FM. He left behind a wife and two children
Meanwhile, the Ashanti Region branch of the GJA has called on the security agencies to step up their investigative machinery and track down the perpetrators.
The association, in a statement signed by the Vice-Chairman, Nana Yaw Osei, said it had confidence in the police to pursue the criminals and bring them to justice.
“While not being pre-emptive, the Ashanti GJA urges the police to spread its investigative tentacles wider and pursue every lead which might emerge in the course of their investigations into the matter,” the statement said.
It said it wondered why somebody would want to carry out such a barbaric and beastly act on its chairman and condemned in no uncertain terms the actors behind the dastardly act.
It expressed shock and disgust at the killing of the chairman and said the Ashanti GJA was of the view that if the murder was politically motivated, then, apart from looking at the perceived political opponents of the late Mr Enin, his home constituency and district must also engage the attention of the police.
“It could have been done by anybody,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the killing of the Ashanti Regional GJA chairman has received widespread condemnation from members of the public in Kumasi who expressed concern about security for journalists.

No comments: