Baba Yara Stadium is now ready for CAN 2008.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Two poisoned by gas at Nnatony Gas in Kumasi

IN what police suspected to be gas poisoning, two workers of the Nnatony Gas Filling Station at Ohwimase in Kumasi, were killed inside a huge cylindrical gas tank in an attempt to clean it.

Benjamin Mbah, a 35-year-old engineer of the company, and Twumasi Agyapong, 32, an apprenticed engineer, were found dead in the tank without any protective cover when a rescue team from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) entered the tank.
Their remains had been deposited at the morgue at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) for autopsy.(above is the gas cylinder which the two deceased persons entered)
Acting Ashanti Regional Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Seth Oteng, said the autopsy would enable them to tak further action on the case.
He, however, stated that, the properitor of the station, Mr Tony Nimako, was invited to the station on Monday for questioning and released on bail.
ACP Oteng did not disclose details of the proprietor’s statement but said, the man stated that he was not at the station when the incident occured.

The acting regional commander said, it was a routine duty for workers to go inside the tank to clean it and added that for at least ten occasions, the deceased persons had undertaken such exercise without any problem.
ACP Oteng said, on Monday, the two were detailed to clean the tank, which was supposed to be empty. It was Benjamin who first entered the tank at about 7.40am and within minutes his colleague joined him in in the facility in a bid to clean it.
The acting commander indicated that, after about thirty minutes when there was no sign that they were coming out, the Fire Service was called in.
On entering the tank, however, the two were found dead with foam gushing out of their mouths and nostrils.