Baba Yara Stadium is now ready for CAN 2008.

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Three held over rape

The police in Kumasi have arrested three young men who allegedly gang raped an eighteen-year-old lady in a bush at Pankrono Estate at the weekend.
The suspects, Kwadwo Apau, 23, Kwaku Asiamah, 18 and Kwaku Dwumfuor, 20 were said to have kidnapped the young lady, sent her to Pankrono Estate and raped her in a bush.
They were said to have picked her at the Suame roundabout on Saturday August 9, 2008 in a taxi with registration number AS 2296 Q and sent her to Pankrono Estate for the ordeal after which they abandoned her and fled.
The driver of the taxi, Ofori Atta, 19 was arrested afterwards and led the police to arrest the three suspects.
The driver claimed he was innocent but the three other suspects admitted having sex with the lady and said the lady wilfully agreed to have sex with them at a fee.
Inspector Yusif Mohammed Tanko of the Ashanti Regional Police Public Relations Unit said the police were still investigating the incident.
He said the complainant told the police that she had gone to visit her boyfriend whom she named as Stephen and was on her way back to her house at Bantama at about 12am when she came across the suspects.
Inspector Tanko said the lady was picked by the driver of the taxi, which had the three suspects in it at the Suame roundabout bus stop with the intention of taking her to Bantama.
But he said the occupants kidnapped the lady and threatened to kill her with a locally manufactured pistol if she dared made noise drove her to Pankrono Estate and branched into a bush after seizing her mobile phone and GH¢40 she was holding at the time.
Inspector Tanko said the three suspects allegedly had sex with the lady in turns and later abandoned her in the bush.
The victim was said to have later came across a neighbourhood watch committee and after narrating the incident to them, the members of the committee became suspicious of a taxicab they had seen the driver pushing so they rushed back to the scene and arrested the driver and handed him over to the police at Old Tafo.
According to the police the driver told them that he had picked the three suspects in his car because he knew one of them.
He said whilst moving with them, his gas got finished so he decided to go and refill but when he returned the occupants were nowhere to be found and that it was during his attempt to restart the car that the neighbourhood watch committee members arrested and handed him over to the police.
Picture shows
From left to right Kwadwo Apau, 23. Kwaku Asiamah, 18 and Kwaku Dwumfuor, 20.

No comments: